MILES - Mobility and Independent Living in Elders Study
- Principal Investigators:
- Dr. Pawan Kumar Sharma, MD
- Dr. Jammy Guru Rajesh, MD
- Dr. Kusneniwar Govindrao N., MD
- Co- Principal Investigator:
- Dr. K. Vijayaraghavan, Director Research, SHARE INDIA.
- Dr. K. Balasubramanian, Associate Director Research, SHARE INDIA.
- Dr. Enakshi Ganguly, MD.
- Dr. Aparna Varma, MD.
Advisor India: Dr. B. S. Garg, Dean, MGIMS, Sevagram, India.
- University of Pittsburgh, USA:
- Dr. Anne Newman, Chair, Department of Epidemiology & Director Center for Aging,
- Dr. Jane Cauley, Co-Director, Department of Epidemiology & Director, Center for Aging,
- Dr. Clareann Bunker, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology,
- Dr. Joseph M. Zmuda, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology,
- Dr. Tushar Singh, Ph.D Scholar, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, USA.
Amount of Funding: US $ 20,000 (Rs.12.40 Lakhs)
Source of funding: NIH Fogarty International Center and SHARE INDIA
This study started in 2012 to:
1. Determine the prevalence of age-related chronic disease in older adults.
2. Determine the prevalence of socioeconomic, psychosocial, behavioral, dietary and environmental risk factors for age-related chronic disease and disability using examinations and non-invasive testing.
3. Determine which conditions are most strongly associated with mobility disability, both cross- sectionally and longitudinally.
The study was implemented in Medchal region of Telangana State, India, with collaboration of SHARE INDIA, MediCiti Institute of Medical Sciences and Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, USA.
Information was collected from the participants through a questionnaire (medical history including general health and physical function), anthropometry, blood pressure, heart rate, measurements of physical functions (short Physical Performance battery, grip strength, 400 meter walk) vision, hearing, blood tests (lipid, hemoglobin, thyroid, creatinine and blood sugar) carotid ultrasound, peripheral computerized tomography, electrocardiogram, echocardiography and cognitive function test.
Status till March, 2015, we have completed three visits successfully in two years and the third year will commence in October 2015. A total of 564 participants with 282 males and 282 females have been enrolled and studied.
|1.||Tushar Singh1, Pawan K Sharma2, Guru Rajesh Jammy2, Jane A Cauley1, Clareann H Bunker1,PS Reddy2 and Anne B Newman1 -“Design of the Mobility and Independent Living in Elders Study: An older adult cohort in rural India.”|
|2.||Pawan Kumar Sharma, Clareann H. Bunker, Tushar Singh, Enakshi Ganguly, P. Sudhakar Reddy, Anne B. Newman, and Jane A. Cauley. Burden and Correlates of Falls among Rural Elders of South India: Mobility and Independent Living in Elders Study. Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, vol. 2017, Article ID 1290936, 8 pages, 2017.|
|3.||Reddy BM, Ganguly E, Sharma PK. Hypertension and its Correlates in the Oldest Old Population Aged 80 Years and Above in Urban South India. J Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2018;7(3):472. doi: 10.4172/2167-7182.1000472. Epub 2018 May 31. PubMed PMID: 29984116; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6035005|
|4.||Konda PR, Sharma PK, Gandhi AR, Ganguly E (2018) Geriatric Depression and its Correlates among South Indian Urbans. J Depress Anxiety 7: 314. DOI: 10.4172/2167-1044.1000314|
|5.||Konda PR, Sharma PK, Gandhi AR, Ganguly E (2018) Correlates of Cognitive Impairment among Indian Urban Elders. J Gerontol Geriatr Res 7: 489. Doi: 10.4172/2167-7182.1000489|
|6.||Jammy GR, Boudreau RM, Singh T, et al. Volumetric bone mineral density (vBMD), bone structure, and structural geometry among rural South Indian, US Caucasian, and Afro-Caribbean older men. Arch Osteoporos. 2018;13(1):60. Published 2018 May 22. doi:10.1007/s11657-018-0473-1|